A root canal is a common dental procedure with an unfortunate reputation. Though often thought to be painful, a root canal is actually a way for your dentist to save your tooth and remove the infection. Find out more about root canals, signs you may need one, and how they can benefit your smile with Dr. Thomas English in Conroe, TX.
Signs You May Need a Root Canal
Your dentist may suggest a root canal in various situations. From a cavity to a broken molar, your damaged teeth can probably benefit from a root canal. The most common reason for a root canal is advanced tooth decay. Some of the most common symptoms of this condition include:
- Unexplained bad breath
- A toothache
- Tooth sensitivity
- Sensitivity to hot and cold food or drinks
- Brown or black mark on the tooth
- A visible hole in the tooth
- Unexplained bad taste in the mouth
The Root Canal Procedure
During a root canal, your dentist will:
- Administer a local anesthetic to ensure that you do not feel any discomfort during your treatment.
- Create a small access hole in the crown of the tooth.
- Clean and scrub the inside of the tooth to ensure no diseased tissue remains behind.
- Refill the tooth using composite resin materials.
In most cases, your dentist will suggest a dental crown to cover the tooth and help protect it from everyday use.
Root Canal Therapy in Conroe, TX
For more information on root canals or why they may be necessary for you, please contact Dr. Thomas English at his practice in Conroe, TX. Call (936) 756-3611 to schedule your appointment!